Sunday, August 15, 2010

Playa del Carmen


To celebrate our fifth anniversary, KJ and I went to Playa. It was our first-ever vacation since our honeymoon. Technically, we did go to Texas for KJ's college baseball team reunion back in 2006, but I was suffering from morning sickness the whole time that I hardly count that as a vacation. Plus, it was just overnight. I spent one whole day watching a bunch of guys show off at the baseball field. It was kinda fun bc road trips are always kinda fun...just minus the morning sickness.


Playa was awesome. Beautiful. The ocean -- period. I wish I lived near the ocean. I got to talking to one of the employees at the resort that we stayed at and he had the nerve to admit, "Yeah, the ocean..sometimes I just forget to take time to go to the beach." WHAT??!?!


I took a bunch of pictures, but only used my flip camera. I haven't had a chance to upload them yet so this was just a pic from my phone.


We were so, so, so spoiled during our time there. People waited on us hand and foot. Little things like turndown service with aromatherapy candles and chocolates every night. We went deep sea fishing -- I mean KJ fished, I puked. Crazy. Snorkeling -- which I've decided is not for me after all. In the past when I've snorkeled, it was all fun; now, I just had the heebie jeebies the whole time and it was pretty intense. You know it's not a good sign when the guide says, "Okay, folks, is everybody a good swimmer? You're going to need to watch me bc this current is pretty strong, and I'm not really liking it. You're going to need to swim hard once we get further out." Um, I thought this was the lazy kind of snorkeling where you stay near the shore. Nope. We were waaaaaay far out from the shore. Stingrays. Sea turtles the size of my washing machine. The guide screaming "Keep your distance!" to us while the current was pulling us closer to the turtle. Ugh! I wanted to just quit and cry and go sit on the dock. Exept the dock was a mile from the middle of the ocean where I was. I don't want to ever go again.


I'll save my snorkeling-in-a-cave story for another day. It was scary too.


Ah, but, take me back to the resort, and all was good. LOVED it. The ocean is just breathtaking I think.


No comments: