Monday, September 29, 2008

Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Recipe

Below is the recipe that I promised to share two weeks ago after my mom and dad's birthday party. I had many requests for the recipe but kept forgetting to post it. It's very simple but so delicious. I received the recipe from Kendall's aunt Dawna. She fixed them once for a get-together and frankly I had to have the recipe. (Thanks, Dawna!) I wish I would have thought to take a pic of the 70 chicken enchiladas I made for the party bc you could see how creamy they are. (The other 70 were beef enchiladas and I just used the recipe off of the Old El Paso enchilada sauce can. It's hard to beat despite how common a recipe it is!) Enjoy!

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

2 1/2 c. sour cream, divided
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 T. butter
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 c. cooked chicken
1 small can diced green chilies
1/2 - 1 can of cream of chicken soup
A little milk, optional
12 flour tortillas
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, optional

Cook onions in butter until soft. Add chicken, 1/2 c. sour cream, chilies, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through. Fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tortilla, and place seam side down in a greased (or Pam'd) baking dish. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining 2 cups of sour cream and half ofthe can of soup. I add some milk to this to get it thinned down to the consistency that I like. You can use less sour cream and more soup, or half and half, whatever you'd like. Spread the sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese (if you're using cheese), and bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes. Just make sure the enchiladas are warmed all the way through. (You can test this by sticking a knife in the middle of the dish and pulling it out. If it's hot, you know you're ready. If it's not, keep it in the oven a little longer.)

No comments: