Friday, November 12, 2010

Moving Day!







Today's the day! We're closing on our house. It's been nearly 10 months since we first listed it back in January. It's been a year and a half of decision-making for our family. Through that time we've learned so much about life. Sounds crazy, but it's true.
We made our plans to buy an old fixer-upper, did all that we possibly could to make that happen, months passed, and yet nothing panned out.
Then the economy sinks lower.
Go to Plan B. Find a different house to buy. Make an offer and it's accepted. Now we gotta get our house sold. We hired an awesome realtor who lives down the street from us bc we'd seen how successful/quick she was at selling houses in our 'hood; most of them sold within weeks. Then, a few months into it, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is a Christian and a strong believer, so we let her know that we're praying for her and will remain with her while she undergoes treatment. After a couple of more months, she's deemed healthy and is back to work full-time.
We had a crazy amount of showings over these last 9 months. STRESSFUL to put it mildly. The worst part of selling a house, in my opinion.
We won't even mention the number of other houses in our 'hood that are for sale....serious competition.
Finally after many ups and downs, silence, nothing happening, out of the blue I get a call from a realtor who wants to show our house in 30 minutes. Her clients are in town from Maryland and are in a crunch. Great. The kids were gone, I had planned on working on Etsy stuff all day so craft supplies are everywhere, and then a stomach bug hits me and KJ. It was not pretty. He had to work anyway, but I wanted to just get better. Not clean up a house for strangers which probably wouldn't pan out anyway. I prayed the whole time I cleaned in that mad rush that the Lord would just help them to see past whatever mess I might have left behind and that they'd love it anyway. While I frantically made it out of the house in time, I told Him I gave it my best and prayed that He'd just be all over the situation.
I parked in the Schlotzksy's parking lot down from my house while they were viewing my house. Don't ask me why I chose Schlotzsky's. I tried to nap some but couldn't get comfortable. I go home. I lay down and try to nap again. Nothing. Just icky. Then she calls back and wants to see the house again that evening. That was good to hear, but I'd been through this all before so was cautiously optimistic.
So, to cut to the chase, by lunchtime the next morning, we had a contract!!!! We immediately put in an offer on the house we wanted back in January, and it was accepted! She had even lowered the price by $16,000 so we got it at an even lower price.
We learned so much about God's provision in our lives through this journey. About halfway into it, KJ and I both knew that there was much more going on than just a house issue. There were many lessons the Lord was trying to teach us. He is our provider and when money was super-duper tight, we always had just enough. We would have never imagined we'd last as long as we did without my income. We give Him all the glory for blessing our lives. His Word promises that as long as we're faithful in our finances, He'll take care of us. We've seen it happen over and over. Wow. We've got so many close friends and family who have been praying for us for so long. It's meant a lot to us to have such a strong faith family who cares about our needs.
Let the new adventure begin!!! Can't wait to share our new house with you!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that post.
Just FYI, if you ever need anyone to watch your kiddos while you move or unpack in the new house, let me know!

Unknown said...

Isn't God great! We are so happy for all of you and now for awhile you are alot closer and so you know what that means, here we come.

amanda torres said...

So wonderful!!! I can't wait to hear all about the adventures of the new house...and THE stove. Ahhhh...a new stove in an old house. That's a perfect combination.